The ultimate purpose of the Council on African World Affairs is to help ensure that the African World community has a comprehensive international affairs educational program. Its basic goal is to provide activities to meet the needs of its audiences. Among its more specific goals are:
- providing for the discussion of current African World issues among attentive citizens and internationally oriented professional community.
- increasing community participation in African World international affairs.
- increasing the number of community members seriously interested in African World affairs.
- raising the general level of community education about the African World by emphasizing, encouraging and facilitating conferences, lectures, discussions and publication.
- providing a meeting ground for national leaders, especially on issues critical to the African World.
- ensuring the regular presence of African World's leaders and renowned commentators in contact with the community.
- fostering policy analysis for key issues.
- enhancing the quality of present and future African World leadership.
- invigorating the community's international environment.
- improving the functioning of the community by identifying its international education needs and providing a complete and coordinated response to those needs.
- institutionalizing a comprehensive international affairs program.
- contributing to and demonstrating the vitality of a resurgent African World interest community, intellectually alive and aware of its national and international roles.
- encourage scholarship and academic excellence in our youth.
- strengthen the connection between all peoples of African descent.
- collate perspectives about African World affairs through a formal academic journal.
- provide development aid of various types to African peoples to help alleviate the challenges difficult human condition in Africa.